Thursday, 19 April 2007

A teachers' forum

This site is mainly for those of us on the CIE course for teachers and trainers. I hope you will subscribe frequently and keep us posted on new happening in such a fulfilling career.

82 comments:

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Where are you all? I think the long holidays are now over!

Shemo said...

Hi Shalini,
NIce to know you are safe and well. Question! The first part of the practice assign. is the same as the design one. Do I copy and paste the infor from the Design part? (about who I am and the school etc.)
Shemo

Shemo said...

Hey done it!!! good for you Shalini!! Looks like we hight tech people have lots to learn!! I had to get this one figured out.

Shemo said...

Does the DVS know when our next assignments are due in? can I have some dates as I have some other assignments I need to send in too and I worry about getting allof it done in time. Some dates will help.

Dharshi said...

Hi am here too!!!

Dharshi said...

HI, just checking!!!

Shemo said...

Hi again, Imara called me a while ago and wanted to find out if you had recieved her assignment. Is Dharshi's ready to go too? can we go ahead and mail it to DVS?

Shemo said...

Hi Shalini, went for the lecture today!! We need to have you back ASAP!!!

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

I had given up and thought no one would ever check my blog and yes the subject of the assignment is the same for Design and Practice - as for pasting the same personal info, yes I suppose - please could someone check the sample assignments - I think several of you made copies - Dharshi they are still singing your praises at the creche and Shemo please may we organise a small in-house workshop for them - told the boss about inspired visit and now funding not an issue - YES

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Hi Imara sent your assignment by email with amendments but no word from you - left it a little late?! think deadline is 14th

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Dharshi -did you send me a second draft by email after I left as had none?

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Last comment for today - dont know about date for Practice as you need to be observed for this - the mark does not go towards the Practice part but is a necessary pre-cursor - also in discussion with DVS will give you dates for Practice and will give you dates for last two as well - are you reading what I post as no comments on that yet so have not added any new stuff - I miss the course...

Shemo said...

Hi Shalini,
I have started on the practice assignment with feed back from a colleague as I was not sure how it was going to work out. Does this mean I have to hold on to the assignment till Rom or Geraldinbe come in to observe me... Did not have time to read through what you have posted but scanned throught them. However I do not think that I can use any information from last sats's lecture!!

Shemo said...

Sorry to say so but you know me I am frank!!

Shemo said...

It seems to me that we have to refer to our practiced design assignment when doing the practice section. It also seems like we have to refer to the observers comments based on what we have practiced in my case the water activity. Now when Rom or Geraldine come in I have already done those activities and I cannot re-do it with the kids. So if it is just the methodology then I will not have a problem, but I need to refer to actual happenings on my assignment dont I? can I not use the observations done by a colleague durign the activity?

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Hi Shemo
Yes you do need to indicate to the observeer that you have run the session before - they should not indicate this on the form but their comments should reflect your methodology and class room technique etc which should be fab
Please send me a draft of the Practice part of your assignm
I take it that the lecture was not related to the course then...

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Just realised what you asked - yes you can use the comments of a colleague who observed you when you did the activity - does this make sense?

Shemo said...

got it! yes personally I was very dissapointed with the lecture however others might think differently. I believe we are having lectures which should be relevant to the Cambridge course and not ones that would urn us a job at Dharmapala Vidyalaya.
When will you be back?
Why is it ok to have 50 kids in a classroom?
Why is it wrong to have children under 5 in schoos? preschools or otherwise? Should children not be encouraged to speak in more than one language until they are 5? all questions I have for you as lecture seemed to have these as the core of it all. Oh one more, Is child centered structured learning a way of neglecting children who are NOT SMART in the classrooms?
Sorry for all this but have to get it off my chest.

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

But Dharmapala Vidyalaya is where you may want to be in the future...when you get fed up of teaching privileged kids. Yes, the course should be related to CIE which is why I sent the reading hoping that the hint would be taken.
50 kids in a classroom is mad - my kids have never been more than 20 and how do you deliver effectively to 50 - what about different styles of learning and teaching. in this instance at least one or two classroom assistants if this is the best option.I battle this at RI
Also there are schools and 'schools' so for example some should be at a pre school and it all depends on what labels we give - dont know where this is leading but LC has kids in school at 5
The more languages the better - the more information the better - the more stimulation the best - I rest my case - write all this down and can we thrash it out when I return as could generate some good discussion - tho you are right some thought that the session was very useful
I miss teaching so much - but am busy preparing for when I return and marking essays for my RI degree students
Hope you are manically busy

Shemo said...

I know what you mean, Well I am getting tired of our educational system as it seems to be going backwards as the rest of the world moves faster. How are our up and comng generationsgoing to face all this I don't know.
I have printed out all the info you have sent for us girls. I wish I had seen this stuff before I sent off my assignment(Preschool Practice one). I could have used lots of it. and I was just killing myself doing two assignments simultaniously!!! Now I have to send three more by mid JULY!! well I love the stilulation I guess. Now I woudl like to offer a few days to the Ports school in July if you like. What do you think. I do not want to Observe any classes at Ladies if you don't mind, I woudl like togo to RCCI or something!!???

Shemo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am sorry but I HAVE to butt in here. For most of my school career I was in a class of 40 or more and I learnt perfectly fine thank you very much!!! I went on to university where many of my colleagues followed lectures where students were in excess of 150! I know most universities overseas have large numbers of course depending on the subject.

90% of government schools have 50 students in a class and there's nothing anyone can do about it at the moment so without questioning the right and wrong of it, I suggest we look at how we can work so that those 50 kids will benefit.

This IS Sri Lanka after all and methods that work overseas may not really work well with our kids as our mindset is different.

Shalini, I think you will need to reserve an entire day just for this debate :-) Shemo, I don't mean to offend you but we have to face facts as we see them and that IS the reality. Most tiny schools don't more than one class per grade due to a shortage of teachers; so there may be easily more than 50 there, what do they do????

Shemo said...

When you get back we will have heaps to discuss. It would be good to have Gareth from OSC come and do two lectures for us. I am looking forward to it. However we might hear lots of contradicting information as he teachers in a differentiated classroom. Shalini, How can the teachers who are doing the course practically implement what they learn during the course? I would be very frustrated if that happened to me. Dharshi was saying it is so good to know that we can makes child focused, relevant changes in our classrooms without having the admin throw us out. It feels great to work in an environment which is so open and flexible. I wish we all had that through.

Shemo said...

Hi Mishthi,
Great to have someone else on too!! I know what you mean, totally as I too was in a situation like so. However when kids are really young or even kids 6, 8,10 or 12 need to have teachers who will make adjustments to the programme to help them learn better.

Shemo said...

I cannot understand this when I see all these teachers sitting in front of Isurupaya waiting for jobs with posters in their hands. Why cannot they employ them to teach these kids? Most people get offended when we say OSC, I know that, I have had it for years, but I know I can do it in a local classroom too provided the parents understand and the admin supports me. Why are we so hard to change? I feel it is unfair by the children, especially as they all do not learn the same way. We are not all fortunate, but if we cannot make change where it matters most even in a small way then I don't think we should be in the profession of teaching. MIshthi, don’t you feel sorry for those girls you teach, trying to get decent jobs, wanting to speak good English, my question is, Why doesn't someone tackle the problem before it becomes such an issue?

Shemo said...

Well when the Minister of Education says our schools are one mess, What more do you expect!!! It is unfair the onse that go to highty flighty schools will pack up and more on earning well and enjoying life and all others who are not so privilaged have to make do with a life of, "How do we ppay the childs van hire this month?"

Yes Shalini, A day might not be enough though!

Anonymous said...

Of course I feel sorry for them Shemo!!! That's why I am trying SO hard to teach them...And why I use so many methods so they enjoy learning even at this last stage of their education.

I agree with what you say but the fault lies in the system and our armchair critics! There are plenty of graduates wanting to teach but sadly 90% will want the job 'cos it's convenient and not for any other reason! Very few are dedicated the way we are. Most teachers take off after school because as far as they are concerned their work ends at with the last bell!!! I don't think many of them prepare as painstakingly as we do.

Changes can be made but only in private schools for the moment. Even there it's hard with the oldschool teachers who prefer to stick to their old methods. It's going to take SUCH a long time but let's hope we can be even a small part of it.

I am lucky in that I can use whatever methods I like and even change what I teach to suit the class without always having to check with someone. Plus Mrs. Salgado is very supportive and open to new methods. But we aren't a school...

Shemo said...

I understand, but feel very strongly about Education being fair to all. I guess I am asking for too much. I get so many teachers coming for interviews and so many application for positions, When I look at their CV's I want to cry!! Well MIshthi, looks like due to our present system you might not only have to teach English and stuff, you might have to take ALL subjects!!!
But I agree our teachers do not want change. Its just too much work!! and the heads or olds schoolers will not stand for it!! all in all our poor kids!!
Is it just the two of us??? yoo hooo!!! is anyone else out there???

Shemo said...

Mishthi, How come we don't get to talk about all this stuff in class??? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
Shalini.. you must love this heated conversaton!! do join us!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes you must be getting lots of applications from teachers who want to come 'cos of the money!!! And of course the prestige...the kids come last :-D

Aiyooooo, teaching English is bad enough!!! I if I had to teach anything else I will go mad!!!!

Looks like it's just you and me on this one!!! Everyone knows about blog right???

Yes we should talk about this in class!! There's SO much to talk about though...I think we should set aside days for just talk on certain topics, don't you?? Besides since this isn't going to end over night it may be a good idea that we not only keep the blog going but maybe we should meet up once in a while as well?

It helps SO much to talk about these things and I have picked up so much from listening to others in class...never realised I would learn so much through just talking to you guys!

Yes Shalini, where are you??? YOu have a lot of catching up!!!

Shemo said...

ha ha!!! yes the money is good but what is better is job satisfaction. It just feels so good to be able to do what you believe in. I have learnt so much from the class too. As we are always in a clss full of 2's and over it is good to hear about trials and good ideas coming from others in the same profession. Hey we should get together for some snacks!!
well since we seem to be alone on this it will most problably be just the two of us!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yes, Shemo, we should meet since we have so much to 'thrash' out!!!! Pity it's just us though...it would be so much more interesting to get input from the others too.

I know what you mean about job satisfaction...but unfortunately very few people would agree with us. Most go for the money and hate what they do...I am sure that is the case with many teachers in many government schools. It's only a few people like Mrs. K who would be doing it for the love of the job and the kids and not think of themselves. That mindset needs to change as well!!! Any ideas??? I am sure this blog isn't enough to discuss all this :-D

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Here I am- please understand that on account of the time difference I am not on when you are - but time noted and will check to see if the fast typists are on tonight - but while you were at it was at the cinema watching notes on a scandal about teachers but a different spin - have decided that I am getting as obssesive about teachin as you are - we have so much to discuss but how can we change the world?
I had wanted to set up a voluntary group of teacher trainers who go out to the stixs and train other teachers but the assumption is that they are in it for the wrong reasons - then I met the teachers at the Port creche - they work for between Rs 3500 and Rs 6000 - am making in-roads on changing that - just had the Port take over the School...but more on that later - they are so committed and so dedicated. They will go that extra mile for nothing and Mala in her kindness has offered the headteacher a scholarship place on the next pre school course - any takers for teaching English at the Port - want to make a difference to someones life? - you will get paid - I know you are in Mishthi - want to start a revolution?

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

This forum is my dream come true - I so wanted to have discussion and shared space for ideas - I think we should also ask Hari back - he will be amazed by the progress we have made, our sense of awareness and the passion for our profession.
Incidentally went to a meeting of Drake Music Scotland - google it at Drake Music Project Scotland - this is for Shiranthi and Shiromi - it was fabulous and was moved to tears - Hope to get them to SL and have a meeting with them for 6th of June - Please can you get others to post comments too -

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

as for trying to practically implement the findings/ teachings of the course - this is why you will have Maria as change is so subtle and often works within prescribed and given parameters - I am off to see a library in Edinburgh where the librarian given her inner city issues of drugs etc has created a haven with the little she has apparently it is her attitude and commitment and her belief that these kids are not all users and abusers. She also has made changes and made it more user friendly to those who matter. Will let you know...

Anonymous said...

Hi Shalini!!! Good to have you back!! You have missed quite a bit!!!

I don't think the others access the Internet as much as we do...Shemo can tell the OSC crowd but we won't meet the others until the 2nd I think...Else they don't want to battle it out with Shemo and me...yooohooo anybody???

Anonymous said...

Of course Shalini!!! YOu can definitely count me in on helping out with the Port School. That's the sort of challenge I live for!!! I am sure even if a few of us get together we can make even a SMALL change. Maybe it will take off from there? So count me in :-)

Shemo said...

Yes I guess not all of us have the oppertunity to make a difference, but then again there are those of us who can and just need a PUSH!! so go ahead and give us a PUSH shalini!!
Mishthi, woudl you like to come over some time to see the preschool??? please feel free to do so give me a buzz.... you should see my little angels and you will go crazy!!!
you can se the bigger ones too and they are also... well let me fill you in later...
anyways..Shalini, how can we help? it is great to talk about it and all but I love the action!! I get bored very fast and can't sit still for long so I need to keep myself busy...I like the walk the walk business...

Shemo said...

Shalini... I have a parent whois involved in doing this ýuti'magazine for kids. It is lovely and is in English, Sinhana and Tamil. exceptional quality books.. its for sale for Rs450 I think. the idea is that for every purchase made the NGO will give three kids in rural araes free copies of the magazine. It is a colourful, informational one for kids. very relevant. any ideas? she is trying to sell it at Ladies too I think. UNICEF too is on thier team I think.

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Hi Shemo Does the lady with the magazines do subscriptions - will take one for our school but think we should take more - can you buy two for me and may I settle you on return? please remind me or will forget.The teachers at the creche think that you will do a couple of sessions in July for them - babysitting available with Chandra on site - who is our handy lady and is lovely - swings sandpit etc
will ask for dates as need to work out of term - Dharshi will tell you how formal and status oriented it is but am slowly breaking down barriers - they are so keen to learn and are starved of information - incidentally we got some great cds from UNICEF for pre-schoolers - the story is available in all three languages- great idea from your school to keep in touch with the masses

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Mishthi - I really need help with teaching English to the port workers - we currently have 114 applications and the numbers are growing - we are getting the old warehouse ready and will divide into two - its a lovely old building and the chairman has also given us access to the media unit for Saturday classes - we can run two evening classes as well for within the port from 5-7 what do you think? Shemo you are welcome too as dont quite know how to teach 114 and we dont want them in classes of 50!

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Hello?????????
I guess you have all gone away now - have to nip out for 20 mins but will be back - I do love the quiet life here...

à¶šොà¶ ්à¶ ි මිà¶»ිà·ƒ් said...

Very active debate.Post on this topic too.
http://nivahana.com/index.php/board,31.0.html

Anonymous said...

sorry I logged off early yesterday

Anonymous said...

Hi Shalini, sounds like quite a daunting task but definitely like to be involved. The evening classes sound better than Saturday for me as I try to leave weekends free. Details can be sorted out later I am sure, but what about finding at least 2 more teachers? Shemo, interested in teaching older students???

Shalini, when you say 'for within the port' you mean the classes will be conducted inside?

I would love to come and see the preschool, Shemo...I must sort out the times with you...will get your # from office and text you. Thanks so much!!!

Anonymous said...

since it looks like you guys will log on later, I shall check in again tomorrow!!!

Shemo said...

Hi,
My goodness, you caught me off guard there!!! teaching big kids is not my strong point. But I can teach their kids if you like!!!!!!

Yes please call It would be good to have you over.

Anonymous said...

Will definitely let you know what I think of the OCS haven! Hope I can make the time to go one of these days...

As I said, we can sort out the details pertaining to the classes once you get back...may not be a good idea to do it over this blog :-/

I have printed out some of your articles, but haven't been able to access one or two. Must try them again later on...

Class atmosphere is definitely important for older kids as well but when you don't have your own or a regular classroom it's hard to make it learning friendly or condusive. I feel though it IS important, it may not be as important for the older kids as it is for younger ones...what say you?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

I do think it is important for the older kids too - in more subtle ways - I do take a treat in from time to time, I also give them prizes for spelling tests - I think this subsidises the lack of scope we have with the classroom but have also taken to putting up posters and the other teachers dont mind - I change the desk around when we have a half day session- waiting for other ideas...

Anonymous said...

So giving them treats is ok? I wasn't sure...the other kids won't get upset? I mean they aren't small but chances of them getting upset are greater, no?

Putting up posters is a nice idea...must try doing it at work...thing is I don't have a regular classroom which poses a problem...

Shemo said...

I think every teacher needs a place she can call HOME!! This is a space you can keep your records and maintain other necessary information. If the school wishes you to make an impact on student learning regardless of the age of the student, then I think they should allocate a regular space. It makes a difference.

Anonymous said...

I know you are right Shemo, but what happens in schools where that's not possible i.e. most rural schools where one class serves many different teachers of many different subjects? I guess you could divide the class up into different sections...there are also students and teachers who have no class at all...SO frustrating when you think of all these obstacles and yet these children seem to be learning..I know of a small village in the north central province where an organisation has set up a school for computer studies and the students are thriving!!! I serve as a mentor to one of them via the internet to help with English! They have their own laptops, Internet access at home and they design their own websites! One student has even earned money by designing a wedsite for a company in the area!!!! Just goes to show that if they have a small opening they will work wonders.

Shemo said...

You are so rihgt. Given the opportunity ANY child can create wonders big and small. sometimes opportunities do not mean money, It means more hard work or simple common sense, which a lot of us lack, sad to say. I am so pleased to hear these happy stories. You know they just make you feel like somethings are possible. that is a good feeling.
I know it might not be possible for every teacher to have a space. But if it can be done then i guess it can. Just think, There have got to be more classrooms than teachers at any rate in any school, right? I know at Bishops all teachers had a class. yes they took classes in different grade levels but they had a space. This in my opinion is where the problem is. NO PLANNING!!! schools are set up in the aim of just making money. I remember going to a certain international school for my daughter and I told the principal that the class was so small it looked like a cattle shed. And I am sure it was at somepoint. The kids could not even sit themselves down, how can that be right? The teachers in some of my daughters previous school did not even remember their name when it came to th eparent conference, How can you report on a child you don't even recognize? or know th ename of? she had no data what so over but she could very plainly look at me and tell me my kid was very poor in X,Y and Z. I would like to know where she kept my childs records? how did she know what she claims to know?
anyway I am off the subject as usual!!! whats new.
I miss the class, even though at times it is painfully long!!!!!
ha ha
no others on this line i guess...

Anonymous said...

HI Shemo...looks like even Shalini has deserted us!!! Yes I miss the class too...I have learnt so much in the past 5 months, I really feel like I am losing out by not having the regular class! I will try to visit you sometime in June. I will have some free time then, hopefully!!! Will discuss it with you when we meet next week.

Anonymous said...

Hi I m here too!

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

I have not deserted you but have an issue with the machine where i stay - now am at a cafe and hope to get it sorted next week. I had a long chat with my supervisor at the University who keeps saying that mentoring is the way forward with link schools etc. Mishthi can we have more on your role as mentor - I think this is the way we can reach those in rural areas. We could link up with a Rotary club if we have to but I am so averse to that sort of organisation though many do some good work. Shanika can we have some comments too -
Shemo are they too long? I think so too and am brain dead at the end...

Anonymous said...

Hi Shalini!!! Good to have you back! At our class yesterday we discovered that most of the others have visited the blog and read our exchange but chose not leave their comments!!!!
As for the mentor, yes it's a really good way to go if they have access to the Internet as these kids do. They send us their essays via e-mail and we correct them and send them back. We also communicate with them whenever possible thus helping them to keep conversing in English. They are of course very fortunate to have a good back up system in the village as well. You can check out the website it's http://www.horizonlanka.org/. It's very inspiring, what they are doing and particularly since the kids are thriving in their own environment. They are brought to Colombo on occasion for various seminars etc. as well. Yes I agree about not joining so called 'organisations'...but if that's the only way to go...

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

THIS IS FOR ALL OF YOU WHO READ THE BLOG AND CHOOSE NOT TO LEAVE A COMMENT - it is blog etiquette to comment after one has read the discussion as if you don't its rather like reading someone elses letters - just say I agree or here I am - much like Shanika and Dharshi have in the past.
Mishthi - I would like more such as mentoring through teacher training - a one day workshop with follow up sessions and then some support material in the form of videos, books and of course if they have net access a blog...

Anonymous said...

Oooops!!! I hope the others who read the blog don't yell at me when we meet on Saturday!!!!

Shalini, you want me to get more information? Am not quite sure what you want me to do!

Shemo said...

Hi Shalini,
How are things with you over there. I am sure you are having a grand time with your daughter. Well I have just finished looking through the assessment sample assignment and it seems like we will have to include approximately 3 samples of assessment tools as well as the actual task we are assessing. Now we have a problem with this as our kids are very young. Can two of the tasks be posted in the form of sequenced photographs of children actually doing the task? I can use one of the journals as one of the tasks.. do you think?

Shemo said...

No problem Mishthi,
I guess we are all open-minded or so we should be as teachers!!! ha ha. Anyway I tell you this other assignment is drivingme around the bend.
Shalini....do we have to keep to the same design assignment when commenting on the assessment one? or finding tasks and tools?

Shemo said...

...........why do I have so many questions? I guess I need to be reassured before I do things halfway and then realize that it was all wrong!!!....well that is usually my style! i am learning.

Shemo said...

I had one of my colleagues do the observations(Practice Assign.) of me while doing the activity. can I not use them? do I have to wait for Rom? I want to get this out of my way as I have three more assignments on my other course due mid July... Please help.....

Anonymous said...

Shemo, you are scaring me as I haven't so much as glanced at the Assessment part of our assignment!!!! As a result what you are talking about is literally Greek!!!! I am sure we will all have the same questions plus many more when we actually get down to it but which time hopefully Shalini will be back to be plagued by us!!!

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

I am still at the internet cafe as the computer where I am staying has an expired windows as so needs to be reset...
Shemo - I am not sure what you mean by 3 sanples of assessment tools - I will have to go home and look at the CD but to my understanding you to demonstrate an understanding and use of formative and summative assessments. If I remember right you have to analyse your data as well and so you have to interpret what you think might have caused a highly successful session or not so successful.
So basically there are two parts formative and summative; also if I remember right they speak of analysis of data at the end of the formative section and felt that there should be links between the interpretation of data section further down. Does this help? if it does please convey it to the others tomorrow.
I have also said to Mala that I will start teaching on the 7th of July and want hard copies of the Practice assignment then, even if you have not been observed yet the format of the Practice session is what you will use in the observation session which is not marked. Any queries on the contrasting styles are self explanatory as they give examples on the observation sheet. Please pass this on or else the whole programme will get delayed
Many thanks - enjoy tomorrow

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Shemo for you again. Yes of course you can use who you like to observe you - as Haresh said people use who they have in the school. So looking forward to seeing your observation comments

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Mishthi - I want to travel out to some rural schools and mentor...so may have to chat about this at length - Please would you post the article you sent me or shall I?

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Today should have been excellent as I so highly rate Robert and Maria. They have been in frequent touch to make it relevant to the CIE programme which is quite hard given the rigidity of the structure of the programme. However, I do hope you got out of it the importance of how to administer change. Much of what you have learnt will be so different to practice within your own establishments and given that some of the institutions are so well established it would be hard to see how change could be realistically possible. This of the issues they raised and hope they will help you move forward. Where is everyone - machine fixed at home so will be on every night. We need to set targets for assignments...

Anonymous said...

Hi Shalini

Ermm...How does one post the article??? Am rather clueless so if you can post it...

Yesterday's session was good. Gareth gave a lot of information which I am sure will be very useful when we start the assignment. Also gave me a lot of food for thought when designing an exam.

The change management session was also very interesting and informative. Once again gave us food for thought...on a personal as well as professional note.

Shemo said...

Dear Shalini,
I get what you say. I had another look at the sample assignment We have to use some examples and show what feedback we gave the children am I right? one assessment tool is also added in? right? I am a bit confused.. but want to get it done and out of my hair!
thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Shalini. I visited Shemo and Darshi today....such a lovely experience! Made me want to be a kid again :-)

Shemo, thanks for inviting me and taking so much time to show me around...it waas truly a learning experience. I picked up a few things which will be useful particularly in the future to plan and assess my students.

Shalini I tried posting the article but can't figure out how as there doesn't seem to be an option for me to do that! Do I need special permission???

mala said...

Finally found the time to read the comments. We need to think how we can use the Cambridge Diploma course to make some change in the educational system in our country. What about a workshop or some scholarships to one or two government teachers? Any other ideas?
I am sorry to say that only 9 participants (including me)attended the change management seminar. Four to five participants left after the morning session.
For sometime I have been wondering how DVS could be of more service to rural students. I was interested in Mishti ideas. I have also been in touch with a distance learning specialist who is coming over to DVS in July.May be we could all join in and extend some of our programmes. English for a start.
mala

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

So pleased that you all enjoyed the sessions with both Gareth and Maria - they must have had so much to share...
Shemo - I am sorry but I need to see the sample assignments to answer your question more effectively. I only have the CD with me - consider that with your age group feedback is also given to parents. Yes you do need to show examples of a tool that you might use. Please may I answer this when I return.

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

Hi Mishthi, I hate to say I told you so but they have created such a haven for those kids and hope they will help with the Port school too...so pleased you enjoyed it and picked up some ideas.
Shiranthi and Shiromi - think you should visit too as many ideas for craft and for creating a great atmosphere.
I was sent the article which appeared in the press too so no problem posting it will do later

Anonymous said...

Shaliniiiiiiiiiii...help regarding the practice assignment!!!! Do we have to complete the observations by the 7th as well??? Trying to do so but if not???? Will you get totally upset and throw me out of class :-(

Shalini Wickramasuriya said...

so sorry blogging is not working for me as I have trouble with the computer I am on - its also an antique - Mishthi you can continue to write the Practice part despite not being observed yet - I do need to get the drafts in and had set a deadline of the 7th of July - we have to then do an assignment a month as I have to return to Edinburgh - will explain all when I see you as cant put it in writing...Hope all is well - it seems like an age and look forward to seeing you all on the 7th at 9 am till 3.30 with half an hour for lunch...

Anonymous said...

Ok Shalini. I had one session observed and the next will be done in 2 weeks so will give you whatever I have minus observers report.

We are looking forward to having you back as well. As Iresha said we are like kids without their mum!!!!! We are so looking forward to the 7th as well.

Shemo said...

grannyHey everybody who is around???
Iresha thanks for the pesonal contact information!!! it is great!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shemo, Looks like it's just us again!!!! Yes, Iresha, you have done a great job with the contact details of the group. I do hope we can all meet at least once in two or three months...

Shemo said...

Hi Mishthi,
Yes as usual. getting started on the evaluation doc. now i can't wait to finish up.
we do need to meet up before we forget what we look like.